Adulting Update, Week 7
It's been about a month and a half of adulting and since my last update (week 3), I haven't made much of a change in the way I spend. But, given that it has been over a month, I am able to analyze my monthly spending, as a whole, including big, once-a-month expenses, like rent.
My salary for September (salary paid for the month of August, on September 14th) was 50% of what I'd normally get because I was on holiday for the first half of August. AND THAT SUCKED. Absolutely sucked. I won't get paid for September until October 14th and I will admit that I already spent almost all of what I was paid last month.
Here's some of my findings and updates:
- I've been trying to live on a budget of ¥10,000 a week, not including my "Don't Fucking Touch" savings box, or other unexpected expenses. But for groceries, food I buy, restaurants I go to, I've been trying to keep it around ¥10,000 per week. My groceries cost around ¥2,500-¥3,500 a week, depending on how much I intend on cooking throughout the week and if I need to buy things that are maybe monthly purchases, like rice, coffee, or tea. If I do buy dinner on my way home from work, it's never more than ¥800, and that only happens once or twice a week.
- Most of the spending occurs on the weekend, if I go out to dinner and drinks on Friday and/or Saturday night. Going out is my biggest expense up until now. Those nights easily cost about ¥3,000 and can be way more if I get carried away with the drinks. My restaurant/bar expense since the start of adulting is ¥28,777, which averages to ¥4,111 per week. Not too bad actually, I thought it was going to be way worse. There were a few weekends that I didn't go out at all, so that helped the average. You know, if I didn't drink alcohol at all, I would save so much money. But, who am I kidding?! That won't happen.
- My "Don't Fucking Touch" savings box is up to ¥16,800 after today! That's quite good, but I'm starting to feel that cash missing every week. It started out as a fairly low amount to set aside each week, but today I had to put in ¥2,800, and it'll only get higher from now. I've decided not to cap it at a certain amount, though. I'll miss the money now, but I'll be happy when I go on my winter trip and have all this money set aside for it.
- My transportation expense up until now is ¥19,370. CRAZY. That's all I have to say. It's crazy how expensive it is.
- Makeup. I recently bought makeup. It cost me ¥13,651 for two eyebrow pencils (one that I already use and another in a lighter shade that I want to try), one tube of mascara, and setting powder. I haven't switched over to drug store makeup and I don't think I can. :( Oh, and I bought a new moisturizer, which I include in makeup, for the purpose of my spreadsheet, which cost me ¥1,380. Total makeup expense up until now is ¥26,371. Sad.
- I've decided to take the JLPT N3 test (Japanese Language Proficiency Test, level 3) in December, which cost me ¥5,500 to register and another ¥5,000 for study materials. I figured it would look good on my resume if I pass, so why not try?
- Today, I just finished applying for this side hustle job where I caption videos. They pay up to $0.75 USD through PayPal for every audio minute captioned. If all goes well, I figure I can do this after work for an hour or two per day and make a bit of cash on the side. An extra $200 a month would be nice. It's not a whole lot of money, and it'll depend how much I do it, but there are interesting videos to choose from and it's pretty easy to do, so I'll give it a shot.
A month and a half of adulting and I'm still a broke girl. :( LOL, but what can really be expected in such a small time frame. The main thing is that I'm making positive lifestyle changes that'll benefit me in the long-run! Just the simple act of logging down every thing I purchase has made me so much more aware and has really made me think a lot more before making purchases.
In other news, I'm going on a family trip to Okinawa in less than 3 weeks! I'm very excited about that. Stay tuned for pictures!
Thanks for reading and for joining me on my journey out of broke girl status. :)
YOU MIGHT LIKE...
Follow me on Instagram (@lianadesu) to keep up with all my adventures!
...when I'm actually doing shit, otherwise it'll be selfies and makeup.
And don't sleep on those discount codes in the footer!
...who knows how long I'll have them.